Friday, January 7, 2011

My Twelve Days of Christmas!!!!

Ahh, the holidays!!!  Santa has come and gone.  I must have been pretty good last year because I got a bunch of good toys.  It was great getting to see family and friends even though I had to run all over the place.  Twelve days, three states....I needed a vacation from the vacation!  First, it was off to Raleigh, then to ATL, and lastly it was Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Ugh, Raleigh?!?!...Really!?!  Eight inches of snow on Christmas day?!?!  Now, that was a huge surprise. I can hardly recall ever seeing a snowfall in December and never a "White Christmas".  Can't say I thought it would happen but was definitely nice change. 




The day after Christmas it was off to Atlanta.  We went there to visit my wife's family.  It was great seeing them and since I had my camera...well....I had to go get some shots in!  A family friend took me to a cemetery to do some shooting.  Yeah, I know.  I thought is was weird too!  But is was actually pretty interesting.  We went to Oakland Cemetery which is the oldest in the city.  Over 70,000 people are buried there.  It's one the only cemeteries from that time that had the wealthy, poor, white and black, buried in the same place.  Some notables are Bobby Jones (golfer), Maraget Mitchell Marsh (Author, Gone with the Wind), and Rev. Frank Quarles (helped establish Spelman College).   Too many interesting facts to list, so look for yourself  at www.oaklandcemetery.com





3,600 "Unknown" Confederate Soldiers











To finish out my holiday, why not go skiing in Wisconsin?  We were planning to celebrate a friend's birthday, go skiing, etc, etc.  Plus, we'd never been to Lake Geneva. Sounded like a great idea.  Only one problem....you gotta have snow to go snow skiing!  51 degrees and rain.  All the snow that was there was washed away.  We still made the most of it.  A little shopping, dinner out, etc. I got to see people ice fishing.  Being out on a frozen lake was not too appealing. 


Downtown Lake Geneva
  

Lake Geneva, WI



Geneva National Golf Resort

 
Look at the frozen lake


Over the last several weeks I've been re-working my website.  Stop by http://www.vicledan.com/ and tell me what you think about the new look.

No comments:

Post a Comment